So you want to learn how to stop divorce?
The reasons to stop your divorce are plentiful, but we know the two BEST reasons to stop it. People generally think they cannot stop divorce once they’ve reach an imaginary tipping point.
You already know the score when someone says, “Oh, I have given it my all, but…” or the couple has retained divorce lawyers. Be honest you think once the decision has been made, it is all but over. But that is just not true.
Here’s the truth:
- People do care if you stay together or get a divorce. Not only do we care, but the divorce laws were put together in such a way to keep you together, if at all possible. They just didn’t know what else they could do. Yes, it is true! In California, divorce law states you cannot just walk into a court and get a divorce that afternoon. You have to wait six months, with no possible way around that — appropriately called a cooling off period. Of course divorce lawyers avoid that phrase. But the legislators intend for parents to have a chance to reconcile.
- Nearly every court insists on a mediation session. Now the divorce courts (for whatever excuses) have reduced those to useless exchanges of each spouse’s position on what should happen to the children after divorce. But the legislators want parents to have a chance to reconcile.
- Anybody who has studied the aftermath of divorce knows it is a tragic mistake, and they want you to stay together. Not just for some families or for those couples who really have no good reasoning for divorce. The suffering from divorce will happen, and nobody wants you to go through with it. Divorce strikes a heavy blow to everyone involved, even those who are involved peripherally, like teachers, friends, and society in general. Divorce is an option of seeming escape that has simply gotten out of hand. Just because you can lawfully divorce, and society will not condemn you for it, does not mean it is not a serious mistake. Only divorce lawyers, divorce court staff, and marriage family therapists (those who make money off the parents whose children go for therapy) benefit from divorce.
- Many people actually really DO STOP THEIR DIVORCES, at every imaginable point, and sometimes even after the court orders are handed down.
The reasons people stop the divorce process, which sometimes seems like stopping a wood chipper after it caught your sleeve, vary. But there are two reasons, which are unarguably the best, for putting a halt to it.
People don’t recognize these reasons because marriage and divorce, though common, are both little understood.
The number one reason is just right in front of you and has been so downplayed most people shrug it off. But it is not supposed to be shrugged off. You need to consider it.
Your kids will get smooshed!
What makes this so important?
Anyone who tells “Your kids will be OK” or (and this one kills me) “Your kids will be better off,” have no idea what they are talking about.
If you are going to take a closer look, the only time children benefit from divorce is when one parent poses a real threat like a molester or a get-drunk-and-beat-the-kids kind of parent. Otherwise, your kids will absolutely (without question) do more poorly than if you stick together.
Think about raising kids like this:
Imagine helpless children going to a hostile planet with two loving bodyguards, sworn to offer protection and life training.
Then, for God-knows-what reasons, the bodyguards turn on each other.
Soon, instead of sticking to their commitments, they decided to end the whole mission.
And what about the children that require protection?
What happens to their lives?
Who said you can do that, just set aside the needs of your children?
Is that where you get your moral direction?
You are committed, obligated, and not off the hook! Not because I say so. But because the situation is an obligation to your children, and it is my job to remind you in no uncertain terms.
Will you go to Hell?
I have no idea.
I just know what getting a divorce does to children. And because you have kids, you need to look into it so you know, too. If after you look into it and feel divorce won’t cause much harm, fine. But at least study this topic so you can make an informed decision.
It is much easier to repair your marriage and make it good
This idea is so foreign to current thinking that I cannot just leave people with this idea. You deserve an explanation.
And here’s the big idea:
It has to do with what the divorce lawyers and family law judges “hide” and then accepted by the masses. Divorce pain does not end for a very long time.
The movies with people celebrating divorce is nuts. Maybe the drinking part or using meds is real.
But first a warning: divorce causes pain and continues on painfully for a very long time, even if you initiated it.
Why is that?
Because it means you failed. And you didn’t just fail a driver’s test or a history exam. You failed in preparing for the most important decision you have ever made.
Putting the challenges of how to deal with your kids aside, because some of you may not have any, you still have “you” to deal with.
Do you think your subconscious mind is not impacted?
Do you think your self confidence won’t be impacted when making important decisions?
And did you know that the divorce rate for second marriages is much higher than that of first marriages?
So what should you do?
The good news is there can be a happy ending! You can create a new beginning! A little game I use for myself is worth sharing, and many have found it useful.
Pretend you aren’t the person who has brought your life to this point
Pretend God said to you, “I’m sending you into this person’s life, and I want you to fix it. You get to start with all that is there, and all the opportunities in front of you that the last inhabitant of this life didn’t see. They got too rattled, and that’s why I’m sending you in. Go get ’em.”
Starting right now, take a fresh look at your life and marriage. But without self criticism or blame. Just take over. You are on a mission from God!
- Stop everything! Take a look at your current situation with as much objectivity as you can muster.
- Evaluate the conditions, and what needs the most attention and healing, and what needs leaving alone.
- Act with wisdom. Stop being pettily reactive and start healing your marital relationship. No blaming, no excuses for the past (apologies are acceptable), and get to work.
You don’t know how to be married — admit it! Don’t blame your spouse! Do your part to heal the marriage. God sent you, not them, to heal it.
When women work on their marriages, it rarely matters if their husband is a total dork. When women work on their marriages, they win! Their husbands usually come around, sometimes it a takes a bit, but they do.
It is not too late to stop your divorce process
It is my passion and my mission to stop divorce.
Divorce is destroying my country and eroding families. It has undermined my community and impacted my children. It has defined the society within which I live in terms that are an embarrassment. I see people who give up on the spiritual values and moral standards that make up the foundation for a successful society. My friends and neighbors have learned to rationalize, as have I.
Believe in God
It isn’t my way to push religion on others nor do I believe that my way of seeing and worshiping God is the only way; contrarily, I respect and admire all beliefs and religions.
But I am openly angry with the godless religion called Freudian psychology.
Followers of this practice have provided myriad excuses for abandoning children and soulmates instead of admitting to the great flaw of their philosophy. They have refused to acknowledge the spiritual core of humanity and in so doing have denied themselves serious study and understanding of marriage, which was invented by, and is a gift from, God.
So how can you fix something when you deny one third of it even exists?
Over 95% of Americans openly express believing in a supreme being. I don’t know the exact statistics, but I am sure a huge percentage of those people (which includes me) believe that a man/woman is essentially a soul and spiritual.
This is the point where you can conclude that we are souls with bodies and minds.
Most of us know that prayer is the most powerful force in the universe, yet how often have you heard of a Freudian psychologist who suggested prayer as part of their therapy?
Well, I suggest prayer.
God made the universe in a very mathematical and practical way. He made it understandable so we could enjoy his creation. But when we turn our lives over to individuals who have no idea what they’re doing, we only have ourselves to blame.
Would you bring your car to an auto repairman who had a 6% success rate?
Of course not!
To sum up, we can stop divorce.
But first you have to stop your own relationship from ending in divorce. It is not only possible, it is simple, fast, and inexpensive when you know how.
Don’t give up.
Go solve it.
Don’t lose the best friend you have ever had because of a few minor problems.
My book, Lessons for a Happy Marriage, helps those with troubled marriages because I believe everyone can have a joyous marriage once they understand how to.
The greatest incentive I had to create the lessons was the suffering I saw among our children.
The divorce problem goes even further beyond the immediate impacts. I have now made it my life’s mission to eradicate the need for divorce through marriage education.
I will do everything I can to combat the causes of divorce at every level.
If you are currently married, please tell your spouse, “I love you,” so you can learn to appreciate one another. It’s your decision to stop divorce.