The world we live in is materially oriented, meaning we value most what we own and want to own. The reason conflicts arise, either between couples or between nations, is because of power and money.
Our world is highly competitive, starting from the lowest levels of animals fighting for food scraps to world leaders behaving like savage animals to get their way. And yet, we know, intuitively, we are spiritual beings, not mere animals. We are superior in so many ways, which sets us apart and above. But you wouldn’t know it by looking at a typical couple fighting.
A human being is capable of reason, which is defined by an innate sense of right and wrong. We also have sensitivities to others’ feelings and we are able to control our minds, which is a purely human capability. But most incredibly we are able to give love because we choose to. Did not every couple promise to do just that?
When it comes to marriage, we have not been taking advantage of our uniqueness. We forget our promises, and have allowed marriage to be nothing more than another materially oriented relationship spiced up with romance.
Marriage is not merely a material contract based upon man-made laws and customs. Marriage is not just a legal means of sharing responsibility for children, or defining yourselves as a family. These material aspects of marriage should be only the shadow of a real, spiritual marriage.
Marriage is special, unique, and, ultimately, above all other mundane facets of life. Spiritual marriage is the connection of souls, for a high set of purposes; a union allowing one to ignore the worldly dangers of give and take.
Once married, you can leave your fears and selfish desires behind. You should learn to love with all your heart, mind, and soul, because it is the greatest expression of yourself.
Here is, in part, how you can create that spiritual marriage:
1) Identify your marriage as a sacred space — Keep it above all other relationships by being mindful of your actions.
2) Identify your spouse as your spiritual mate, or soulmate — They are the only one you have freely chosen to love forever.
3) Study the differences between worldly and spiritual — One must understand the principles, the root of the principles, and how to bring them into a living marriage.
4) Never allow the world into your sacred space of marriage — The most common mistake is allowing another to come within your space.
5) Learn the goals of a spiritual marriage
A spiritual marriage is yours for the taking. Don’t settle for less!
You will have a good relationship, if you want one. But just wanting something is not enough. You must learn about the science of marital relationships. The Marriage Foundation presents marriage in the most useful, practical, and spiritual way. You will become an expert guiding your marriage through the murky worldly waters, experiencing joy and everlasting love.